Re: Packaging java gis software for ubuntu/debian

The two are not equivalent - sadly.

Interestingly the commons-io library is proceeding on java.net, but the fork has changed license. Another fork is in the eclipse foundation - with all the JAI integration removed.

It is the JAI (i.e. image processing) part that is difficult to replace. The code provided is so modular it looks like we can replace bits of it as needed for the foreseeable future.

The only ray of hope is oracle being involved in locationtech - so we may have a line of communication to see about rescuing this project from the void.

Jody

Jody Garnett

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 07:29:19PM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 07:02:10PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > That's surely true but in Debian we have no better (policy compliant)
> > clue than to unbundle their blobs into Java libraries with source.
> > Since the initial question was about JAI I said that this work in this
> > specific case is done but does not really help and upstream should be
> > told to seek for alternatives.  I personally can not imaginge that if
> > the Java source code does not build with OpenJDK 7 the JAR will remain
> > functional in future JDK releases.
> >

> Andreas, convince all them to use http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-imaging/
> and leave that JAI abandonware to its final oblivion (as it has been
> for years now). An easy task, uh?

Well, I do not think that this task is easy - but this is not the
problem.  I guess hard task will be solved more quickly if they are fun
- but the main problem is probably that it is not fun at all.  Anyway,
I do not see any other realistic way to go to get several Java packages
going into main Debian.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--