Re: Packaging java gis software for ubuntu/debian

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 07:29:19PM +0100, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 07:02:10PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > That's surely true but in Debian we have no better (policy compliant)
> > clue than to unbundle their blobs into Java libraries with source.
> > Since the initial question was about JAI I said that this work in this
> > specific case is done but does not really help and upstream should be
> > told to seek for alternatives.  I personally can not imaginge that if
> > the Java source code does not build with OpenJDK 7 the JAR will remain
> > functional in future JDK releases.
> >

> Andreas, convince all them to use http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-imaging/
> and leave that JAI abandonware to its final oblivion (as it has been
> for years now). An easy task, uh?

Well, I do not think that this task is easy - but this is not the
problem.  I guess hard task will be solved more quickly if they are fun
- but the main problem is probably that it is not fun at all.  Anyway,
I do not see any other realistic way to go to get several Java packages
going into main Debian.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--