Re: Packaging java gis software for ubuntu/debian

Hi Johan,

thanks for bringing up this topic.

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 07:41:26PM +0100, Johan Van de Wauw wrote:
> With jai in multiverse and in debian in nonfree, it is indeed possible
> to package most java gis programs in a way that they can go into
> debian and ubuntu! For debian they would go into contrib, for ubuntu
> in multiverse.

While it is a shame that JAI is in non-free we have some even more urgent
problem which results from the fact that it is not maintained upstream
any more:  It only builds with OpenJDK 6 -> see

   http://bugs.debian.org/715530

It seems the best idea would be to find some (free) replacament for JAI
(but I personally have no idea to approach this since I'm not a Java
programmer).

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--