Re: OpenStreetMap tile rendering stack in debian-gis

Hi,
i just subscribed to this list and read july threads.

> Hello,
>
> I'd like to bring this up again to help move things along...
>
> On 04/19/2013 02:45 PM, David Paleino wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 07:56:21 -0600, Kai Krueger wrote:
>>
>>> - Mapnik is currently packaged in version 2.0.0 (sid), whereas
>>> the current upstream is 2.1 (Released August 2012). With the
>>> default OSM stylesheet soon to move over to requiring mapnik 2.1
>>> and the popular style designer tilemill also seemingly requiring
>>> mapnik 2.1, it would be good to get mapnik updated to 2.1 in
>>> debian-gis.
>>
>> I haven't updated it just because of the freeze.
>
> Mapnik 2.2 is now out and Debian is out of the freeze. So it would be
> nice if this could now me updated. By the looks of it, there is
> different thread talking about this already though and looking for a
> sponsor for the package? So that is great.

Mapnik 2.2 brings essential features for generating protobuf tiles.
YunQiang Su and me are working *together* to maintain mapnik 2.2,
so an upload is going to happen very soon.

>>> - osm2pgsql seems to not have been updated to a new upstream
>>> release in a year and it would be nice to get a newer upstream
>>> release into debian, as there have been a couple of new features
>>> and bug fixes since then.
>>>
>>> - osmosis also could do with an update to the latest upstream
>>> release.
>>
>> I'll update these two ASAP. Been busy with real life issues, and
>> haven't had much requests to update them. Now I have one :)
>
> Great. If there is something I can do to help, that would be good.
>
> If you do update the package for osm2pgsql, you probably want to use
> the 0.82 tag in the repository, as that version is thought to be
> stable. We have recently started using tagged versions to help
> distinguish between stable snapshots and more experimental ones.
>

>>> - Tilemill [2] is not currently packaged in debian-gis. It is a
>>> nice tool for designing mapnik rendering styles and makes it
>>> fairly easy to create your own interesting map styles.
>>
>> I've been struggling with this for more than one year; I've been
>> packaging LOTS of nodejs modules to make it work, and it still
>> didn't, last time I tried. I think I gave up on this, making things
>> consistent with nodejs "things" is _officially_ a mess (i.e. nodejs
>> upstream DISCOURAGES using system-wide libraries, but instead
>> encourages embedding modules -- which is not what we want).

Now i'm a big fan of tilemill and upstream is doing crazy work on that
matter (heard of tm2 ?). Since i'm actually using that software stack
in production, and maintaining libv8/nodejs, i'll probably do my best
to make sure it works before 2014.

Regards,
Jérémy.