Re: Packages maintained by Debian GIS but not mentioned in metapackages

Hi Antonio,

many thanks for your input!

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:04:40PM +0100, Antonio Valentino wrote:
> >  gmt-coast-low - Low resolution coastlines for the Generic Mapping Tools
> >  gmt-gshhs-full - Full resolution coastlines for the Generic Mapping Tools
> >  gmt-gshhs-high - High resolution coastlines for the Generic Mapping Tools
> >  gmt-gshhs-low - Low resolution coastlines for the Generic Mapping Tools
> >    --> ??? ('sar', or even to be created 'data'?)
> >

> there is some package in the remote sensing task that depends on GMT
> but IMO the coastline data can't be considered specific of that
> task.
>
> +1 doe data

OK, created data task containing:

  Depends: gmt-coast-low, gmt-gshhs-low

  Suggests: gmt-gshhs-full, gmt-gshhs-high

with the idea that low resolution data should be installed when a user
asks for the gis-data metapackage to enable running the intended
programs but only offer the full and high resolution data at explicit
request.  Please confirm whether this makes sense.

> >  libgdal1-1.9.0-grass - GRASS extension for the GDAL library
> >    --> sar
>
> workstation IMO

OK, moved from sar to workstation

> >  python-epr   - Python ENVISAT Product Reader API (Python 2)
> >  python-pyshp - read/write support for ESRI Shapefile format
> >    --> workstattion (only suggested because API and no application -
> >        see below)
> >

> python-epr is already in the remote sensing task but IMO workstation
> and/or dev is also OK

Thanks for the hint, left unchanged

> >featuring development library packages like for instance
> >
> >    libepr-api2-dev, libgeo-proj4-perl, libgeotiff-dev,
> >    libgrits-dev, libkml-java, python-kml, libkml-dev,
> >    libterralib-dev, python-epr, python-pyshp, libreadosm-dev,
> >    libspatialindex-dev
> >

> python-gdal IMO belongs to the same category

Yes, also a lot more *-dev, python-* packages.  It needs to be
decided first whether we want to provide a general

  gis-devel

package or whether we rather want to support more fine grained devel
tasks.  The packages above were just examples without gaining for
completeness.

> the task file for the remote sensing task is currently sar.
> I don't know if the task file name has any relevance in the process
> of metapackages generation.

The metapackage becomes: gis-sar.

> If it does you should consider to rename the task file: remote
> sensing is a wider scope with respect to SAR (Synthetic Aperture
> Radar)

We should decide about a proper name right now because there is not yet
any debian-gis metapackage set released.  Once it is released with this
name it becomes harder to change afterwards.  I'm fine with any choice
that makes a proper (i.e. not too longish) package name.

Thanks again for your input

     Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de