Re: dfsg-free global digital elevation model (GDEM)?

karme writes:
> I am looking for a DFSG-free [0] global digital elevation
> model (GDEM) which I ultimately want to package for debian.
>
> is the SRTM [1] data DFSG-free?
>
> think so:
> http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/srtm/mou.html

yes it is, but probably not appropriate for inclusion in debian
due to the large size of the dataset.

> rest of the world could be filled using GLOBE G.O.O.D. data

if you are interested in such a thing I'd suggest one of the
ETOPO series. (1,2,5 arc-min resolution)
see  http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global/global.html

In particular, etopo5 is old, but relatively small.
Better is to include tools to download what data you need on-
the-fly I think, and the more immediate need is to package the
Natural Earth dataset shapefiles.

see also http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_datasets

regards,
Hamish