Re: GDAL 1.8 and QGIS

Dear all,

It seems that using QGIS built on GDAL 1.8 is not an easy way! As stated before, I was able to install gdal (i.e. gdal-bin and libgdal1-1.8.0) in version 1.8.

However, QGIS requires libgdal1-dev to be installed, and I can't get to have it installed in version 1.8. Here is what I tried, after purging every gdal and qgis packages:

# aptitude install -t experimental gdal-bin libgdal1-dev
  gdal-bin libdap-dev{a} libdap11{ab} libepsilon0{a} libgdal1-1.8.0{a}
  libgdal1-dev libgif-dev{a} libhdf4-0-alt{a} libhdf4-alt-dev{a}
  libhdf5-serial-1.8.4{a} libhdf5-serial-dev{a} libjasper-dev{a}
  libjpeg62-dev{a} libltdl-dev{a} libmysqlclient-dev{a} libnetcdf-dev{a}
  libnetcdf6{a} libodbcinstq1c2{a} libogdi3.2{a} libqt3-mt{a}
  libspatialite-dev{a} libspatialite2{a} libsqlite3-dev{a} libtool{a}
  libxerces-c2-dev{a} libxerces-c28{a} unixodbc-dev{a}
0 packages upgraded, 27 newly installed, 0 to remove and 201 not upgraded.
Need to get 19.3 MB/28.9 MB of archives. After unpacking 110 MB will be used.
  libdap11: Conflicts: libdap10 but 3.9.3-6 is installed.
            Breaks: libdap10 but 3.9.3-6 is installed.
  libjpeg8-dev: Conflicts: libjpeg62-dev but 6b1-2 is to be installed.

     Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     libdap-dev [Not Installed]
2)     libdap11 [Not Installed]
3)     libgdal1-dev [Not Installed]
4)     libjpeg62-dev [Not Installed]

... which is definitely not what I want (it seems that I need libgdal1-dev). I tried other solutions proposed by aptitude, but all involve not installing libgdal1-dev. I searched a bit around trying to resolve this problem, by installing libdap11 or libjpeg62-dev from experimental, but could not find a way which would not break parts of the system that I'd rather not touch (why should I unstall r-base-dev??).

Once again, is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice or hint that could help me out!
Mathieu.