Re: GDAL 1.8 and QGIS

Dear Jürgen,

Thank you for your answer.

I started by installing GDAL 1.8 from experimental, but now I'm a little bit confused about GDAL. What exactly is the difference between 'gdal-bin' and 'libgdal1-1.X.0' (where X can be 6, 7, or 8)?

I noticed I could install all three versions of libgdal1 together, without any dependency trouble, but I have to choose the version of gdal-bin. Am I right to think that only the latter (gdal-bin) defines the version of GDAL used by the system? In other words, the programs shipped with gdal-bin uses the libgdal1 corresponding to the gdal-bin version and do not care about other versions.

Or did I miss something? The package 'qgis' depends on libgdal1-1.7.0 but does not care about gdal-bin, which means that I can have QGIS installed with gdal-bin version 1.8 (from experimental), but QGIS not using gdal 1.8...

Thanks for any explanation.

Best,
Mathieu.