Re: [DebianGIS] Pkg-grass-general Digest, Vol 66, Issue 5

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 06:41:03PM +0100, Manuel Grizonnet wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as a member of the OTB project, I 'll be glad to give you more informations
> about the library and the package.
> We've not plan to provide debian packages for now. There is a remaining
> conflict between gdal and libTIFF describe here : h
> ttp://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/Problems-with-TIFF-internal-symbols-td3668897.html

A proper fix would be using symbol versioning on the gdal side.
I still did not do that because I know for sure that quite a few
programs out there use system libraries and sym versions would
render them not binary compatible. In the last year I hoped to
see inner and distributed libtiff finally aligned, but that appeared
a nice dream only. Still the emdedding of many libraries in gdal
is a problem so I think versioning is unavoidable.

> That's true that OTB includes lots of internal library but there is for now
> no problem in the first test done for ubuntu platforms. We'll also want to
> work on the externalization of internal libraries in OTB which could be
> added as dependencies in the packaging method.
>
> Do not hesitate if you need further informations, we're very obviously
> interested to provide also packages for debian...

We should minimize the use of embedding libraries for good reasons.
This is mandatory for the pkg.