[DebianGIS] Fw: Specific packages for SAR and earth observation

Try to forward to a message lost in the past days.

Inizio messsaggio inviato:

Data: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 19:35:36 +0100
Da: Antonio Valentino <antonio.valentino@tiscali.it>
A: Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>
Cc: pkg-grass-general@lists.alioth.debian.org
Oggetto: Re: Specific packages for SAR and earth observation

Hi Andreas,

Il giorno Wed, 1 Dec 2010 09:35:24 +0100
Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> ha scritto:

> Hi Antonio,
>
> I have to admit I have real problems to read your mails.  Your line
> breaking is quite confusing and I hope I did not missed something in
> your response.

I'm really sorry.
Unfortunately I frequently have mail delivery failures if I use my
email client to post to this list. So I have to use the mail web
client (let's see if this time it works :)).

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:10:34PM +0100,
> antonio.valentino@tiscali.it wrote:
> >
> > OK, let me know how I can contribute but, I repeat, I'm not an
> > expert in licensing issues, so any contribute of mine should be
> > carefully reviewed.
>
> I have no idea what might make a licensing "expert".  For the moment
> it might be sufficient to detect those programs with a clear license
> from the well known set in /usr/share/common-licenses.  It would be
> good if you could inspect the sources of the programs you proposed to
> include for such licenses.

There are strange cases that I'm not able to classify e.g.
 * I can't find no license or copyright attribution for getorb nor in
   the source package or on the homepage
 * Doris seems to be GPL (license file and source headers) but
   on the home page it is stated that it is only for non-commercial
   use and also there seems to be some re-distribution limitations
 * for best I would like to set up some machinery to automatically
   download the program binaries or something like googleearth-package
   but I don't know if it is OK to skip the page for license ageement
   on the ESA website.

I will try to make a summary of non clear cases during next days.

> > > Links to the packages in Launchpad can be given using the Pkg-URL
> > > field (see [1]).
> >
> > OK
>
> I injected three examples into
>
>    svn://svn.debian.org/svn/blends/projects/gis/trunk/debian-gis/tasks/sar
>
> with all the information I was able to find quickly.  In the case of
> polsarpro I trusted your debian/copyright that it is GPL2.  In the
> case of doris the web page says "free for non-commercial use" and your
> copyright says GPL3.  I have not checked what is actually correct but
> I left the more conservative non-free.  Feel free to correct me if
> you are sure about this and copyright statement is clear.  I have not
> checked the license for getorb just to safe time.
>
> Please frogive my ignorance about launchpad but I have not found ready
> to install deb packages.  So I simply directed the Pkg-URL field to
> the debian/ packaging dir which is fine for the moment.  It just
> points the interested reader to a location where the work is done.

Info about deb packages are at

https://launchpad.net/~a.valentino/+archive/eotools

the repo url is

http://ppa.launchpad.net/a.valentino/eotools/ubuntu/

unfortunately launchpad only supports ubuntu series.

> > From my point of view yes, it would be nice to have a SAR section
> > at the Debian GIS tasks pages and I will be happy to contribute as
> > I can.  And yes, I'm not to much familiar with this kind of things
> > so a couple of examples would be useful.
>
> I hope the three examples I have given in SVN (see above) which are
> rendered to
>
>    http://blends.alioth.debian.org/gis/tasks/sar
>
> will give you an idea what to do.  If you would like to edit the file
> directly you need to become a member of Debian Blends team on Alioth
> but sending me patches for the moment is perfectly fine.  Please
> inspect carefully what I have written especially the description of
> the task on top would need some more love (perhaps explaining in
> detail what SAR means).  I also simply copied the web site text for
> the Pkg-Description fields (I should rather have used the
> descriptions from your control files - but I detected them to late).
>
> If you feel some need you can also add some Remark fields in the same
> syntax as Pkg-Description.

OK I'll work on it the next weekend.

> Kind regards
>
>         Andreas.