Re: [DebianGIS] Packaging of World Vector Shoreline (WVS) data

Hi Brent,

> The version shipped with GMT is not
> exactly set up for easy use with other applications.
>
> Paul Wessel has built a shapefile version of v2.0 of these
> data, available from:
>
> http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/shorelines/gshhs.html
>
> If a standalone global dataset is required, this would be a
> much more useful proposition than the GMT version.

as it happens zygrib is already using the gshhs in its original form
(AFAICT) and I've got GPL code which could be pressed into loading it
into OpenCPN if need be, so actually importing into these two particular
apps is probably easier using the gmt-coast-low package than adding a
dep. to a shapefile reading library.

in general though, sure, shapefiles of the GSHHS or Natural Earth data
are much more accessible & useful to end-users.

A package I can think of that could use it in Shapefile format is the
newer releases of GpsDrive. Currently for live OSM+Mapnik rendering it
wants OSM's openstreetmap-mapnik-world-boundaries .deb package
(www.gpsdrive.de deb repo) which includes the 300mb+shapefiles used for
the www.osm.org mapnik map renderings, but I've successfully replaced the
the few MB natural earth version for global map scales where all that fine
detail isn't needed.
  http://www.gpsdrive.de/build_cluster/results.shtml
  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik#World_Boundaries

Which is to say, if they were packaged as shapefiles I'm sure we could
quickly find a use for them.

regards,
Hamish