Re: [DebianGIS] New Debian GIS Live CD build for Lenny and Squeeze

Hi Petter,
Great to hear about what you have been doing, and I'd love to see if we could move our OSgeo LiveDVD packaging efforts back toward debian-gis or similar.

Our reasoning for creating separate build scripts outside of debian-gis was that many of the GIS packages we wanted to distribute were not available as .deb files, and we didn't have the expertise or time amongst our volunteers to go down this path. Especially difficult has been the packaging of java applications which depend upon sun-java.

At the moment, our process for creating the LiveDVD is quite clumsy and manual, and something that we would love to improve. It sounds like you may have some expertise in this area and could possibly help clean up our processes?

Our process is here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Build

In particular, you may want to look here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Build#Build_the_Live_DVD_ISO_image
and https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/build_iso.sh

If interested, please join us on the OSgeo LiveDVD build list:

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[Hamish]
fyi I continued that effort over in the OSGeo svn:
  https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/live-helper/trunk/

Aha.  Perhaps the useful parts should be merged back to the Debian
repository, or the debian-gis repository ditched and the work be
focused on some new repository?

but then an approach using a base distribution of xUbuntu and
a series of custom post-install scripts on a virtual machine,
and then build that VM into a ISO using RemasterSys was adopted.
(folks thought that would be easier than live-helper/debian, but
now we are looking for a better way...)
  [ "we" meaning mostly Alex ;) ]

Personally, I am a true believer in repeatable generated images, and
thus like the live-helper/cron approach. :)

Not sure how easy it will be to do that when one want to populate a
postgis database with GIS data, thought. :)

a whole pile of install scripts for Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid: (active
work in progress)
 https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/browser/livedvd/gisvm/trunk/bin/

finalized install scripts for Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic can be found
in the svn branches/.

... and it all took off from there. We've probably handed out
1000+ of these by now.  ISOs at  http://live.osgeo.org

Cool. :)

maybe some of those build scripts can be useful. gdal, postgres, and
libboost package versions typically need to be tweaked per release
but otherwise they should be fairly ready to drop into
live-helper/chroot_local-hooks/.

Right.  I doubt I will have time to work on it any time soon, just
wanted to share the current result with you all. :)

Happy hacking,

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager