[DebianGIS] gdal 1.5.2 backport

Hi,

I would like to see gdal 1.5.2 make it into to backports.org for etch
before lenny goes stable. I had a look at
  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis/InfoForDevelopers
  http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contribute
but am still vague about I can do to help things along.

Is the general rule to tweak the testing package controls in a branch of
DebianGIS's svn then build the binary locally and upload the self-package
to backports.org? or just ping backports.org to trigger some build script
over there to try?

does backporting gdal 1.5.2 mean we'd have to backport the new HDF4
packages as well, or would it be simpler build latest GDAL with the old
version of that lib?

thanks,
Hamish