Re: [DebianGIS] gdal 1.5.2 backport

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 03:01:18PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to see gdal 1.5.2 make it into to backports.org for etch
> before lenny goes stable. I had a look at
>   http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis/InfoForDevelopers
>   http://www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contribute
> but am still vague about I can do to help things along.

Contacting this list and find agreement for uploading into bpo.
Which is ok for me. I think no changes to the source package are
required, but for versioning.

> Is the general rule to tweak the testing package controls in a branch of
> DebianGIS's svn then build the binary locally and upload the self-package
> to backports.org? or just ping backports.org to trigger some build script
> over there to try?

It is a good idea only if non trivial changes are required. Non trivial
means anything different from a new changelog entry for versioning
correctly the bpo package.

> does backporting gdal 1.5.2 mean we'd have to backport the new HDF4
> packages as well, or would it be simpler build latest GDAL with the old
> version of that lib?

It is not required, but lenny version is much better due to partial breakness
on 64bit archs.