Re: [DebianGIS] qgis removal

Paul Wise wrote:
> I just read on the -qa list that qgis will be removed from Debian.
> Looking at the PTS I see it has already happened.

:-(

Francesco P. Lovergine:
> Yes, it needs much more care and honestly I doubt it has sense
> releasing Qgis with current style of releasing upstream.

could you elaborate about the style? would it help to have upstream more
closely involved and could provide a volunteer lead qgis packager to join
our team? [that is a rhetorical question of course...]

> Currently the sid version was already obsolete

it was 0.9.1, yes? that is the current stable version of QGIS,
and was only released a few months ago. Not bad at all.

> and I doubt anyone use something different from a svn snapshot.

Me, I use 0.8.1 from Etch backports, and I am happy with that.
It is better than nothing!

> It also has a so long list of dependencies that each version
> cycle requires MONTHS to enter the testing archive.

As long as we have taken care of our side, we shouldn't worry about that.
GRASS also has about the same number of dependencies to worry about.
I think we should worry about getting the best package we can into sid,
and then let lenny happen as it may. We can't solve all the dependencies'
problems, I think it would kill us to try. Let's focus on our own tasks.

> Petter Reinholdtsen ha scritto:
> > Oh, this is bad.  It is my mail GIS tool.  I will be a pain to manage
> > without it. :(

Paolo Cavallini replied:
> so it is for us.

And the geospatial live-CDs will be upset if this important tool is
missing.

> anything we can do? what are exactly the resaons for the removal (sorry
> about my ignorance).

Paul Wise answered:
> Get more people involved (and active) in the GIS team in particular

work happens here:
  http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-grass/packages/qgis/trunk/debian/
I am not sure, is that directly copied from upstream:
  http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/browser/trunk/qgis/debian
or customized again by us?

see the DebianGIS wiki page for svn checkout details and how to register
as a guest helper if you are not a full DD.
  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis
  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis/InfoForDevelopers

> and Debian in general and hope that Debian's keyring maintainer is
> replaced soon.
>
> > what are exactly the resaons for the removal (sorry
> > about my ignorance).
>
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/q/qgis.html
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/q/qgis/news/20080406T181710Z.html
> http://bugs.debian.org/474604

and
  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=qgis;dist=unstable

I think we can re-upload the existing 0.9.1 package to experimental for
folks who really need it or want to help test.

Low hanging fruit we can quickly pluck are:
  [ http://bugs.debian.org/474604 ]

* fixes so it compiles cleanly with gcc 4.3 (preferably coordinated with
upstream and resolved with the upcoming release of 0.9.2; is anyone here
from QGIS upstream or know the status?)

* missing man pages (create basic versions from 'qgis --help', etc)
* missing copyright files (add as needed)

I have filed a meta-bug for this with QGIS,
  http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1028

see also unofficial package repo at:
  deb http://debian.gfoss.it/ lenny main

regards,