Re: [DebianGIS] josm in Debian - web API stability?

On Apr 06  14:54, Hamish wrote:
> Andreas Putzo wrote:
> > I asked josm upstream about his opinion some days ago. He said that
> > the api will most like change again in an incompatible way.
> > I have a good gut feeling that the osm api will be stable for a while
> > but that's probably not enough to let josm into testing :)
>
> if the test to get into lenny is a guarantee that the API will be stable
> forever, no package could pass.

I don't want a guarantee that they won't change the api yet again but
just a little sign that we can expect the api to be stable for some time
now. It would be very unfortunate if josm and other osm tools
wouldn't work anymore right after lenny has been released.

> It is really a matter of timing- is it expected that there will be new
> stable release of the upstream package containing an API change in the
> next 18 months, i.e. is the change currently in the development plans
> now? Or is this a conservative warning that it /could/ change?

This is exactly what we should clarify with osm developers. Judging from the
wiki and my (not so precise) memories, api 0.5 was developed and released within
roughly 6 month. If an incompatible api can be expected in 2009 we shouldn't
include josm in lenny.

> I find it totally understandable and expected that an upstream would not
> guarantee that the API will not change in the future, but that doesn't
> mean it is about to do so.

I agree.

Regards,
Andreas