Re: [DebianGIS] josm in Debian - web API stability?

On Apr 04  00:11, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> So, josm is in unstable now, and a decision need to be done if it
> should be allowed into testing or not.  In 5-6 days, it will enter
> testing, unless some RC bug is reported or a new upload is done.
>
> Should it go into testing or not?  How much do we trust the OSM web
> API to stay compatible with old versions of josm of the duration of a
> stable release?  If not, an RC bug should be reported to keep it out.
> I have not made up my mind on what I believe is the best option, and
> hope someone else can make that decision. :)

I asked josm upstream about his opinion some days ago. He said that
the api will most like change again in an incompatible way.
But we are still discussing this and we should bring this up to
the osm-dev list anyway.
The last api change was not long ago, sometime in october 2007, which
brought many changes to the osm data structure.
I have a good gut feeling that the osm api will be stable for a while
but that's probably not enough to let josm into testing :)
That said i think it's best to open an rc bug for now and try to get
some more evidence soon to come to a decision.
Personally i would really regret if we cannot include josm into lenny.

Regards,
Andreas