[DebianGIS] Openstreetmap data license

[Sorry for cross-posting, but I think this concerns both lists]

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this subject has been brought up already in the
past, I had a quick look in the archives but didn't find anything.

The Openstreetmap (OSM) project (http://openstreetmap.org/) currently
licenses all data under the CC-by-sa 2.0 license. IIRC, some/most of the CC
licenses had some problems wrt DFSG-freeness, and I'm pretty sure that
we might want to include some of that data in Debian sooner or later,
probably as part of some GIS-related packages and/or games or
visualization tools which ship with some sample data from OSM.

There's a recent post in the OSM blog about the license issue and
future plans, with some followup-discussions on the osm-legal list:

http://www.opengeodata.org/?p=262
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/legal-talk/2008-January/thread.html

Can somebody please clarify whether the current CC-by-sa 2.0 data from OSM
can be included in Debian? If not, I think now would be the right time
to talk with the OSM people about the issues and to find a solution
which allows us to use such data in Debian, if possible.

Ideas, comments?

Thanks, Uwe.