Re: [DebianGIS] OpenStreetmap.org Workstation Live CD using Debian?

[Paul Wise]
> I got the impression from blars during DebConf7 that the OSM toolkit
> is still evolving at a rapid pace and it might not be worth packaging
> OSM bits for Debian yet. Is that not the case?

The toolkit is still evolving, but the web API and export format is
quite stable so we can easily track tools using those.  The moving
targets are mostly hidden within the server, and I doubt it is any use
to put that on a live CD.

> Looks like we need:
>
> * some server that can run live-helper's (from sid) make-live
>   --config $BUILD_DIR/make-live.conf

Yes, with root access to get debootstrap working.

> * either a meta-package depending on the required packages, or a
>   list of packages to write in make-live.conf (your list looks good,
>   I'd suggest gnash for the flash renderer except OSM doesn't work
>   with it)

Yes.  I suspect it is a good idea to use the tasksel task I started on
in svn to maintain the package lists.

> * maybe a couple of tweaks to make-live.conf
> * somewhere to put the resulting CDs
> * ideas for how to integrate stuff properly into lenny (inc into
>   http://www.debian.org/CD/)

Yes.

In addition, we need some system to populate the initial databases and
to update them.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen