Re: [DebianGIS] OpenStreetmap.org Workstation Live CD using Debian?

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> After returning from the first OpenStreetmap.org conference, it
> occurred to me how much help it would be for mapping parties and
> people interested in testing the OSM tools if there was an Debian Live
> CD with the packages needed.
>
> Most of the packages are already in Debian, but some are still
> missing.
>
> Such Live CD should at least contain the following:
>
>  * postgis
>  * mapnik
>  * josm
>  * osmarendrer
>  * render@home
>  * gosmore, <URL:http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Gosmore>
>  * mapnik viewer (not yet released, will be available soon)
>  * web browser with flash support for the web based map drawing tool
>  * tools to download the planet file and update the postgis database.
>    The database should probably be populated with current data when
>    the Live CD is built.
>
> Is this a goal anyone else is interested in working towards?

see these Open & Free GIS live-CDs as starting points:
  http://grass.itc.it/download/cdrom.php

The Omniverdi & FOSS4G2006 ones seem to be popular:
  http://livecd.ominiverdi.org/index.php?page=LiveCD&toc=livecd
  http://ldap.telascience.org/foss4g/

Hamish