Re: [DebianGIS] OpenStreetmap.org Workstation Live CD using Debian?

On 7/17/07, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

After returning from the first OpenStreetmap.org conference, it
occurred to me how much help it would be for mapping parties and
people interested in testing the OSM tools if there was an Debian Live
CD with the packages needed.

I got the impression from blars during DebConf7 that the OSM toolkit
is still evolving at a rapid pace and it might not be worth packaging
OSM bits for Debian yet. Is that not the case?

Is this a goal anyone else is interested in working towards?

I spent a few minutes perusing the debian-edu livecd build stuff:

http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-edu/trunk/src/build/live-CD/

Looks like we need:

* some server that can run live-helper's (from sid) make-live --config
$BUILD_DIR/make-live.conf
* either a meta-package depending on the required packages, or a list
of packages to write in make-live.conf (your list looks good, I'd
suggest gnash for the flash renderer except OSM doesn't work with it)
* maybe a couple of tweaks to make-live.conf
* somewhere to put the resulting CDs
* ideas for how to integrate stuff properly into lenny (inc into
http://www.debian.org/CD/)

--
bye,
pabs