Re: [DebianGIS] EPSG data

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 04:53:24PM +1200, Hamish wrote:

> > > Bummer, I hope OSGEO can bring about some change on that.
> >
> > I pointed a preview of the ongoin new release. It does not solve the
> > issue under the debian PoV. As said to other, by-committee stuff
> > is often subject to limitations (e.g. W3C or IETF docs).
>

> IIUC, the "spirit" of the license is that you can do what you want with
> the file; but if you modify the coefficients within you can't say it is
> the committee's version anymore. In an effort to minimize confusion, if
> an error is found EPSG retire the ID containing the error and issue an
> entirely new ID. The risk being that the same EPSG Code with differing
> details (from different sources) could lead to bad assumptions and so
> real-world disaster. The EPSG was formed to try and reign in the chaos.
>
> Would it be ok if we rename it something else? (iceweasel strategy)

No. This is not a trademark issue. The EPSG license is non-free due
to limitations in use and modifications. But for having EPSG changing
it in DFSG sense, there's nothing to do.

> Not having easy to install EPSG codes is a huge functionality loss for a
> number of packages. If we have to pkg-Suggest a non-free package, could
> we also issue a big red warning that it isn't there, on the startup
> screens? Or when someone clicks "new location from EPSG code" have it
> issue a warning to install the <epsg-data> package? That could work for
> GRASS, but GDAL depends on it too much?

People are expected to read README.Debian and NEWS.Debian files. If
they don't it's their problem.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine