Re: [DebianGIS] A64 versions??

[no need to cc me, I'm subscribed]

On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 01:17 -0700, Brent Wood wrote:

> I know. I'm running it. Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I was referring to
> the DebianGIS repository, & DebianGIS files.

Ah.

> On the DebianGIS website it says:
> "We only support i386 architecture currently. Other architectures could be
> added in the future, but we have not a buildd environment for that, so builds
> should be done manually or using an unofficial buildd network."
>
> Which to me says clearly that there are no 64bit DebianGIS packages.

AFAIK, the debian-gis repo doesn't hook into any buildd system and
therefore sid or backports.org might be a more useful thing to use &
support. I'm not entirely sure why the debian-gis repo exists. I'd also
like to see us use the official Debian wiki, especially considering the
recentish alioth compromise.

> A search for postgis on the Debian packages site yeilds a link to
> http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/pool/main/p/postgis/

Looks like packages.debian.org has a bug - amd64 is official, not
unofficial. You want debian rather than debian-amd64. amd64 was
integrated into the archive over a year ago, just after the release of
sarge:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/postgis/

> I had assumed that with the release of Debian v4, most packages would be
> current, but packages like Postgres, QGIS, GEOS, etc are not the current
> versions of these, and as I mentioned above, Postgis is supposedly there but I
> can't find it.

Fairly current, although be aware that etch was frozen for several
months.

--
bye,
pabs