Re: [DebianGIS] TileCache needs a sponsor! Can you help?

On 4/6/07, Francesco P. Lovergine <frankie@debian.org> wrote:

I'm not currently available for that, maybe Pabs (as soon as he
will be back and available).

I'm moving to Sydney on Monday for full-time work, but here is a
debian-mentors style review of the debian/ directory (haven't done any
testing):

http://tilecache.org/tilecache-1.6.tar.gz/debian/

* README.Debian: I'd strongly suggest that those changes be moved into
setup.py. although I don't understand the move to /usr/sbin, is it not
possible
* changelog: wrong version number??
* compat: best use 5 these days
* control: Standards-Version needs updating (and read the
debian-policy upgrading-checklist.txt document)
* control: Add real humans to the Uploaders field so we know who is
actually maintaining it
* copyright: move "Copyright (c) 2006-2007 MetaCarta, Inc." into the
copyright holder section
* copyright: "all rights reserved" doesn't really make sense to me if
it is BSD licenced
* cron.d.ex: rename to cron.d - .ex is dh_make for example. Same for
the other .ex files.
* dirs: doesn't setup.py create these itself, if not it prob should?
* docs: EXAMPLES/Example.py should probably get installed by
dh_installexamples instead
* docs: HACKING maybe is only relevant for people who get the source
package? Actually, it looks useful, perhaps HACKING.swarm is useful
too?
* docs: MANIFEST isn't needed
* docs: The README file needs adapting to the lack of .py extensions
and a few path changes /usr/local -> /usr. I'd suggest doing this in
debian/rules with a call to either python or sed
* init.d.ex: rename, add lsb information, remove reload bit, commented bits?
* manpages: perhaps installing these should be moved to setup.py?
non-Debian users might appreciate them too :)
* postinst.ex, postrm.ex, preinst.ex, prerm.ex: delete, doen't seem to
be needed or do anything
* tilecache.8: does that have the same information as the upstream README file?
* rules: remove unneeded makefile targets and comments
* rules: why is dh_installcron commented out if you have a default cron?
* maybe move the debian dir to debian-gis svn: you don't want to be
releasing new upstreams for every change to the debian packages.

Ok, some stuff in the upstream bits I thought was strange:

* CHANGELOG: seems like the kinda thing that should be called NEWS
instead, may want to generate a ChangeLog with svn2cl
* mkdist.sh: I thought python's setuputils stuff could do the
equivalent of make dist from automake?

All that said, I'd love to see openlayers/openstreetmap/tilecache and
so on in Debian.

--
bye,
pabs