Re: [DebianGIS] current state

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 10:02:51AM +0100, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all.
> Freezing somewhat approaches, and I think it is useful to summarize the
> situation. We have most new packages ready:
> - grass 6.2
> - mapserver 4.10
> - proj 4.5
> - postgis 1.1.6
> Qgis is still in flux, so it's out of d-gis power.
> None of them is in unstable, but we've tested all, and we do not see any
> serious issue preventing them to enter it. It would be great to have
> them in etch. Qgis could be packported later (when 0.8 will be finally out).
> Is this feasible? If some more specific testing is needed, we are
> available for this.
> All the best.

For proj4.5 it's definitively too late, that would causes to much impact
on a good deal of programs to consider it for etch.

Mapserver 4.10 is already in sid since 12 days, but currently blocked by php5 and
geos which is only 7 days old. I'm quite confident it will enter testing in time
if all required archs will build in time php5 (and I'm sure they will :)).
The same for postgis.

For grass we could try that, soon. But number of dependecies and build times are
quite sufficient to worry me...

I would instead fix gdal python
binding and a decent qgis package is required. I also would suggest in
its doc that the etch package is EXPERIMENTAL...