Re: [DebianGIS] Re: Broken packages

On Feb 28, 2006, at 6:30 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:

* Blair Zajac (blair@orcaware.com) wrote:
I found a couple of things when I tried to port this to Postgis 1.1.1 on
Breezy.

I'm not 100% sure you really want to go there (assuming you're actually
planning on uploading some version of this to Ubuntu...).  One of the
goals of these changes is to get a decent version uploaded to Debian/sid.
There are still some changes required to have that happen (merging the
util packages, and dropping the old Postgres versions, at least). Once
these issues are resolved it'll probably be able to go into Debian
pretty quickly.

I agree with the issues you brought up though and would like to see them
fixed for Debian too, of course. :)

No, these packages are for my own repository that I make available for other people. I don't have commit rights to the Ubuntu repository.

[...]
I'm still working on getting it to work with 1.1.1. The configure.in and configure patches break against it, which I've got fixed, but there's some
other stuff going on.

PostGIS in general isn't really that hard..  Not sure what you're
looking for but if you want something for yourself (but w/o Java) then
you might take a look at http://snowman.net/~sfrost/postgis/. I've got
1.1.1 packages there for amd64 and the packaging uses CDBS and is very
simple. It doesn't include the Java stuff and the build system doesn't
support multiple Postgres versions (though I'm not entirely sure we'll
ever actually need to build for multiple versions, but whatever).

Thanks for the link.

In my packages, I disable the 7.4 and 8.0 builds, since I only support 8.1

I like to base my work off the latest packages that will appear in Debian or Ubuntu. And this makes it easier for people using my packages to update to the official packages when a new version of Debian or Ubuntu is released. Also, it moves the current packages forward, if they decide to use my work.

Regards,
Blair