Re: [DebianGIS] PostGIS status for debian unstable

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 04:24:40AM +0200, alex bodnaru wrote:

> >>thanks for your infinite generosity.
> >

> > I appriciate the sarcasm, however, don't expect me to let up because
> > you've decided that I'm somehow the enemy here.  PostGIS *and* Debian
> > are important to me and I'm not going to sacrifice one for the other.  A
> > maintainer needs to work *with* Debian, not against it.

Alex, that's not need to be neither sarcastic nor rude. I think the best
thing to do is simply having a postgis package in sync with sid postgres
version (currently 8.1). The reason for that is sufficiently
explained by Joerg. I would add - on the basis of my experiences -
that supporting multiple versions is not only a building problem. I
would stay far from any non-up-to-date combination of
postgis and postgres (security patches, backporting issues, per version issues
and so on) ...

A debian-gis extra package can be considered for extra needs
(7.4 or other ad interim releases) but it's definitively better
having more sources for every postgres edition.

Also, I would add that anyone is free to work on any package on his
own, but it's definitively better keeping up a common repo and
defining common strategies and standards, as recent issues in
debian-gis did show.