[DebianGIS] Re: (Bad) news about postgis

Hi all,

Stephen Frost <sfrost <at> snowman.net> writes:
> Getting PostGIS into unstable isn't really a large project...  Getting
> it in with versions for 7.4, 8.0 and 8.1 isn't going to happen though
> and so we really need to focus on what makes sense for PostGIS in terms
> of packaging and modules for Debian.

I fully agree with Stephen. It is not hard to get this project to work!

And also With Paolo:
> Please remember, however, that PostGIS is a very important piece of software,
>especially for professional use.
>pc
It is a VERY, VERY important package.

I now maintain in debian over 30 different postgres databases without any
difficulties, slowly migrating one by one to newer versions. After I have set
the new server up, more then 10.000 users (and I am really not lying, it is in
fact closer to 15.000) depend on postgis for their data. It is a (very) large
group of volunteers, willing to share their sightings of animals etc. with my
university. They will each upload their data a few times a month/year and we
provide them with automated feedback in the form of maps, etc.

The only silly part is that every now and then I compile a new postgis from
source, silly because it is the only package that needs handcompiling in my
debian. There are far more complex packages, with different versions (For
example postgres itself) that are available without these issues.

I started asking around in July/August (!) what was happening with postgis and
offered help. Alex, allthough probably trying hard, is not very succesfull in
getting it inside the debian queue.
I do not fully understand why it takes 5 months without succes to get postgis in
a succesfull package. It is possibly a task that needs the effort of many people
in the whole group. Or at least people who have a very personal motivation to
get it to work.

Next week I get my server (double processor 64 bit Xeon system) and after some
carefull politics, I might be 'allowed' to use debian after all.
However: I do need postgresql 8.1 and I seriously need postgis on top of it. I
will have close to 100 million records with a x,y coordinate that scream for
spatial queries.

So why the * isn't Alex sharing his burden with more people so we can
collaborate on the package?

BTW: as stated before, Postgis compiles with very little configuration out of
the box. I run 3 different versions of postgresql, with three different versions
of postgis (including three different versions of the binary tools!) WITHOUT any
problems (I described the setup in some earlier posts). However one package for
the current latest postgres would be a nice start.

So please: get it done yesterday or let somebody else do it.

Regards,

Floris