[DebianGIS] Re: status

[Paolo Cavallini]
> Hi all.
> While wishing an happy new year to everybody, I would also like to point out
> the present difficult situation for a debian gis user. In short, what I
> consider the important gis programs (gdal, postgis, grass, qgis, mapserver)
> cannot be installed without problems.

I assume you talk about debian/sid and /etch?

> The solution of this impasse seems to require rebuilding of the
> whole lot, so it can take weeks, maybe months.  It would be great if
> someone would suggest a (temporary or stable) solution to this.

Well, it do not have to take weeks or months.  First, someone need to
finish make a new gdal package, then I or anyone else with upload
privileges can upload it into unstable.  Next, a quick re-upload of
the other packages can be done in a few hours to get the rest of the
packages to rebuild with the new gdal library.

Why should this take so long to fix?

I had a look at
<URL:http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/debiangis-vs-unstable.html>,
and the status look better and better every day. :)