Re: [DebianGIS] Re: status

Hi Petter.
Thanks for your encouraging email.
I use etch/testing. I am glad you see the solution not so far away.
However, it is a fact that for a normal user (not able to compile) it is now
more or less impossible to have the whole freegis suite on one machine,
either stable, testing, unstable, or debiangis (taking some packages from
unstable and some from dgis can be a bit intricated, and I have found no way,
except for recompiling, for having all the "big five" on the same machine).
From this point of view, the situation is unfortunately stable since this
summer, thus my pessimistic view.
We do a lot of professional work, install several machines, do courses etc,
and the installation of freegis packages is always a pain. I also thought of
opening a sponsoring subscription to speed up things (I am willing to
contribute, of course), but I'm not sure whether this can help.
So please all that are in power do an end-of-the-year effort, and finish the
gdal 1.3.1, so things could start loking better early next year.
All best wishes to all for a happy mapping in 2006!
pc

At 14:05, mercoledì 28 dicembre 2005, Petter Reinholdtsen has probably
written:

--
Paolo Cavallini
email+jabber: cavallini@faunalia.it