Re: [Pkg-grass-general] gdal/grass -- need your comments

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 16:01, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 02:49:08PM -0500, Steve Halasz wrote:
> > Please do your testing with the grass 5.7 package at:
> > http://bullhorn.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/
> >
> > This has many improvements over the 5.7.0 tarball from the grass home
> > page. It also provides libgrass5.7 and libgrass5.7-dev packages. The
> > debian files from the above package are in alioth's cvs trunk[5] if you
> > want to patch them.
>
> Just an observation:
>
> +                    --with-freetype --with-readline --with-nls --with-dbm \
> +                    --without-glw --without-odbc \
> +                    --without-blas --without-lapack --without-dbm \
>
>     --without-dbm wins which is correct :-)
>
> +                    --with-blas-libs=/usr/lib/atlas \
> +                    --with-lapack-libs=/usr/lib/atlas \
>
> No need to put in these dependencies, no code is using that.

Thanks, I will make this change.

> Naive question: What about submitting diffs to the GRASS
> project for integration into 5.7-CVS? May be less work for you
> in future...

Yes, I'm committed to doing this, even though I haven't yet :) Markus,
are you the person I should ask about getting CVS write access for
grass? I would be happy to keep the Debian files there up-to-date
myself. But...

I don't think that grass cvs should be the canonical place to keep the
most up-to-date debian build files. We are aiming to package released
versions of grass. As we refine the packaging for 5.7.0, the debian
versions will go from 5.7.0-4 to 5.7.0-5 etc. This creates confusion
because the debian directory shipped in the tarball for any given
release will never be up-to-date with respect to that release. In qgis
cvs I even keep the debian dir outside the qgis source directory and it
does not ship with the software. My sense is that debian's packaging
system is more aligned towards this setup. Once the grass 5.7 package
enters debian, the place to get the latest debian source will be from
the debian archive. And there are tools in place to apply debian changes
to newly downloaded archives from the grass web site[1].

Regards,
Steve

[1]http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-update.en.html#s-newupstream