Re: [Pkg-grass-general] mapserver Pkg update 11/12/2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 23:33, Jon Saints wrote:
> First, could any one willing give the list a quick
> update on the status/recent developments on the GRASS
> and POSTGIS packages.

geos 2.0.1 has been uploaded to unstable, but awaits a blessing from the
ftp-masters since it provides new packages.

No recent progress on grass57. I have committed changes so far to alioth
cvs in the hopes of making it easier for others to contribute to this
effort (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). The package is currently at version
5.7.0-4. Some helpful improvements have been made in grass CVS, but I
think it's cleaner and simpler to stick to packaging release tarballs.
Here is a list of things I think remain to be done:

1. image-file-in-usr-lib lintian warnings. Alioth bug #301035.

2. Create grass57-doc package. Alioth bug #301036.

3. Decide if grass57 will be a separate package from grass (5.0.3), or
if there will only be one grass version in Debian. I believe consensus
at this point is for the latter option. If that is the case, need to
change package names to remove '57'.

4. Changes to control file to make this a team maintained package by
pkg-grass group.

5. Upgrade issues. Provide debconf screens and/or scripts to upgrade
mapsets to new format.

6. copyright file. I removed a bunch of stuff in here that referred to
files that were copyright people other than the grass development team.
I think at the time that I was thinking everything was GPL and there
wasn't a need for this. But maybe these should be looked over to see if
they still apply.

7. I was not able to find a SONAME in any of the grass libraries. I
suspect this is a problem. I believe the libgrass package name needs to
include the soname version to prevent other packages from breaking when
its ABI changes.

8. Hamish made the following suggestions about build-depends[1]. I
haven't had time to look into this. Needs to be built with pbuilder to
verify build-depends.

Regards,
Steve

[1]
hi,

comparing your build depends with the old one in the grass51 CVS
repository:

you have libgd2-xpm-dev, GD is not used after grass 5.0.x, you can
remove that.

have a look, some changes here--

Build-Depends:

changes: