Re: please don't break GCC snapshot builds

Am 25.04.2014 16:54, schrieb Ludovic Brenta:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 15:37:38 +0100, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> Matthias Klose wrote:
>>> Please don't break GCC snapshot builds by not applying needed
>>> patches for the snapshot builds.  At least the ppc64el build is
>>> broken, now fixed in the vcs.  I didn't check other targets like,
>>> arm, mips, the Hurd and KFreeBSD.
>>
>> Could you please elaborate on what exactly caused the breakage? I
>> specifically made as many patches as possible unconditional and
>> applied them as early as possible.  You moved ada-ppc64el from
>> unconditional, early to unconditional, late.  Therefore I assume that
>> there is a conflict between ada-ppc64el and some other patch that is
>> applied only on snapshot builds?  Perhaps the problem is with this
>> other patch, then?
>
> Actually I noticed the following only now:

thanks. so you should be aware of it from now on ;)

> [lots of patches including all Ada- and Go-related patches...]

no, not all.

> I think this construct is *extremely* error-prone; this line blindly
> erases the carefully-crafted debian_patches variable and starts
> afresh.  In my opinion, the only patches that should be applied only
> on the stable branch are svn-updates.diff and the various backporting
> patches;

err, so which ones should not be applied?

> all_branch_patches = gcc-textdomain # note: currently "stable only"; why?

because I don't have the resources to keep this updated for the trunk on a
regular basis, and for this particular case it's not needed.  The gcc-snapshot
package is a cheap way to have a snapshot installable on the developer machines
and porter boxes.  Best thing would be to have as few patches as possible, but
that would require some active upstreaming ... I asked about that already.

  Matthias