Re: GMP transition: 4.3.2 to 5.0.1?

On 25.02.2011 08:46, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
Matthias asks:

did you check, that all gcc versions do build with the new version
on all architectures, and that the gcc testsuite doesn't show
regressions with the new version? will gcc continue to work, while
re-building mpfr and mpclib with the new gmp?

What I have done is upload gmp to the experimental autobuilders.  The
GMP package build runs a comprehensive test suite that is passing on
all the architectures available to the experimental autobuilders.
This gives me some comfort that the code is reasonably sound.  In
addition, the fact that GMP 5 has been out for over a year gives me
some reason to believe that upstream sources have been adapted to
change in API.

Clearly one should be mindful of the effect on GCC -- that's why I
asked the question on debian-gcc.  Do you have any specific concerns?
Is there a GCC autobuilder suite that can do all these rebuilds?  I
will upload there.  However, to ask me to manually try all
combinations of architecture and GCC version is setting the bar too
high, IMHO.

I don't have such a setup. You should check that GCC continues to work with the new package, and doesn't show regressions, comparing with the test-summary.gz of an existing run. It's a bit hard to build things without a compiler. Note that we had exactly this scenario with an earlier PPL upload (or was it mpclib)?

  Matthias