Re: GMP transition: 4.3.2 to 5.0.1?

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 01:39:39PM +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 12:39 -0600, Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> Looking at the package names of the unstable and experimental versions,
> it looks like the main change is libgmp3c2 to libgmp3?  (There is also
> lib{32,64}gmp3 -> lib{32,64}gmp10, but those libraries appear to only be
> used by gmp itself).

All the binary packages changed name:
libgmp3c2   --> libgmp10
libgmp3-dev --> libgmp10-dev
lib32gmp3   --> lib32gmp10
lib64gmp3   --> lib64gmp10
... etc ...

except the C++ bindings libgmpxx4ldbl (and its 32-bit & 64-bit
variants).

In addition, I had to introduce libmp3, lib{32,64}mp3 because the mp
libraries SOVERSION remained at 3.  However, upstream subsequently
indicated these are fairly archaic [1] so I might just remove this
before uploading to unstable.

[1] http://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-devel/2010-November/001669.html

> Have any of the reverse-dependencies been test-built against the new
> version?  Does the move to 5.0.1 imply any source changes being required
> for reverse-dependencies, or "just" rebuilds?  (I say "just" as there
> appear to be around 350 r-dependencies, including at least five from the
> GCC suite).

I haven't done any test-builds.  Since the -dev package changed name,
I presume that "just rebuild" won't work; rather, the sources have
to edit their build-deps.

> > Main question: should I go ahead and upload the new version when
> > I get a free moment or do we need more investigation?
>
> At the very least I'd first like to confirm that the suggested change
> for ia64 works (rebuilding on the other architectures wouldn't hurt
> either)

I have uploaded gmp 5.0.1+dfsg-4 with ia64 compiling using -O2 and it
built, so this is confirmed.

> and better understand the scope of the changes, particularly in
> relation to e.g. gcc.

Matthias also responded requesting:

    I see that both the runtime library and the -dev packages have
    different package names. But to be able to still use gmp3 for
    existing GCC versions, please change the source name too, such
    that gmp3 is still available in unstable after the upload of gmp5.

Shall I go ahead and upload the source gmp5?  Then both gmp versions
will co-exist in the repository and packages can choose to move to
gmp5 at their leisure.

The -dev packages necessarily conflict.  In addition, the C++ bindings
package libgmpxx4ldbl did not change SOVERSION so any package that
depends on libgmpxx4ldbl alone without depending on libgmp3 or
libgmp10 could possibly be compiled against libgmp3 and run with
libgmp10, or vice-versa.  I'm not sure if that's a real problem or
not, but it seems potentially dangerous.  What would you suggest?

Thanks,
-Steve