Re: debug info format

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 14:31:03 -0500
Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> wrote:

DJ> You should add swap space in that case.  And:

>> Note that /etc/security/limits.conf contains these lines:
>> *		hard	data		100000
>> *		hard	rss		100000
>> *		hard	stack		100000
>> *		hard	as		100000
>> (limiting memory use to 100000 Kbs to prevent lockups).

DJ> after adding swap space increase the limits.

I'll try. I already have 192M of swap. But on kernel 2.4.7 my system could lock up
in case of heavy memory usage by g++ or ld. Now I am using 2.4.13, with new VM
things might be better...

But: in case of memory shortage g++ uses tmp files and in many cases can compile
even very big source. It's not good that I can't say this about ld. 500 megs of
free disk space could not help ld. :(

>> Where can I find any docs on debug info formats comparison? gcc docs just say
>> "this format used in old System V systems", "this format used in old BSD systems".
>> It may be interesting for historics, but do not help in my case.

DJ> Stabs is the more compact of your alternatives.

Thanks for this answer! Short and clear!

Regards,
Alexei.