Re: debug info format

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 11:03:02 -0500 (EST)
"Christopher C. Chimelis" <chris@debian.org> wrote:

CCC> On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

>> > I have a problem: my shared library cannot be linked, because it's too
>> > big (all objs are 140 megs in size). I compile sources with "-g" option.
>> > As I understand, g++ produces level 2 debug info in stubs+ format.
>> >
>> > I want to use breakpoints and see stack backtraces. Can I switch
>> > to level 1 info? (I guess: no.)

I guessed right? (I've read 'man gcc', but not sure about my english.)

>> > What debug info format is smaller and easier (linker consumes less memory)
>> > to link?

Anyway, does someone know the answer?

>> Why can't you link it?  Just because it's big shouldn't stop anything.
>> What platform is this?

ia32: PentiumII-233, 128M RAM.

CCC> I'll second this.  I've linked some large files (circa 500MB) with stabs+
CCC> info without a problem.  If you're bent on using stabs and not stabs+,
CCC> though, you can compile the files with -gstabs.  See the gcc docs before
CCC> doing this, though, as there are some caveats if you're using gdb.

Can it help? I need half a day to recompile my lib.

When I link it (I give a command
"g++-3.0 -o my_big_lib.so -lother_not_so_small_libs many_obj_files.o"
), I get the following error:

some_my_obj_file.o: could not read symbols: Memory exhausted
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

When I do the same on 512M RAM -machine, the linking succeeds.

Note that /etc/security/limits.conf contains these lines:
*		hard	data		100000
*		hard	rss		100000
*		hard	stack		100000
*		hard	as		100000
(limiting memory use to 100000 Kbs to prevent lockups).

Where can I find any docs on debug info formats comparison? gcc docs just say
"this format used in old System V systems", "this format used in old BSD systems".
It may be interesting for historics, but do not help in my case.

Regards,
Alexei.