Re: gcc-3.1 for hurd-i386

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 12:44:45AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:

> > Do you object if we declare gcc-3.1 to be our default compiler as
> > soon as you upload?  I just read the archives of this list and it
> > looks like you folks are ready to go as soon as upstream releases.

> I assume Anthony will kill me, if I upload 3.1 before the woody
> release (or at least as long as all packages for woody need to go to
> unstable first).

Probably a reasonable assumption. =)

> The packages are usable (http://ftp-master.debian.org/~doko/gcc),
> but would replace some gcc-3.0 packages.

> Considering the "confusion" of having gcc272 as default C compiler
> and egcs as default C++ compiler in slink and the arch by arch
> switch to new compiler versions, I would propose to switch all
> architectures at once, if that's possible. So maybe it's reasonable
> to: upload 3.1 after the woody release, make it the default with the
> gcc-3.1.1 release? Is this too late for the hurd?

Hmm.  We've already switched to gcc-3.0 (and so far haven't built a
gcc-2.95 - Our glibc doesn't contain the magic to make everything
friendly between the two) for all the C stuff.  I wasn't sure if since
we had a clean slate (There are no packages in Debian for us that are
older than a week or so) if we should use gcc-3.1 right away.

I'm definetly not pushing for anything before Woody (eg. We haven't
filed a request to get gcc-defaults updated, because we don't want to
risk any accidental problems).  I'm just trying to figure out what's
best to plan for.  If you prefer that we stick to gcc-3.0 and g++-3.0,
then I will let the buildd go ahead and build the C++ packages.  If
you say that I can switch to g++-3.1 in 2 or 3 weeks, then I will hold
off until then on any C++ packages.

We also don't mind being a test bed, since we're not a released arch,
our users are used to some hardships. =)

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
 One of the great things about books is sometimes
 there are some fantastic pictures.