Re: gcc-3.1 for hurd-i386

Jeff Bailey writes:
> `hurd-i386' has just completed an ABI bump.  We've been very careful
> to keep back packages that depend on libstdc++, as I had heard that
> there's some compatability problems.
>
> Do you object if we declare gcc-3.1 to be our default compiler as soon
> as you upload?  I just read the archives of this list and it looks
> like you folks are ready to go as soon as upstream releases.

I assume Anthony will kill me, if I upload 3.1 before the woody
release (or at least as long as all packages for woody need to go to
unstable first). The packages are usable
(http://ftp-master.debian.org/~doko/gcc), but would replace some
gcc-3.0 packages.

Considering the "confusion" of having gcc272 as default C compiler and
egcs as default C++ compiler in slink and the arch by arch switch to
new compiler versions, I would propose to switch all architectures at
once, if that's possible. So maybe it's reasonable to: upload 3.1
after the woody release, make it the default with the gcc-3.1.1
release? Is this too late for the hurd?