Re: GNAT and GCC

On  2/10, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

| > I'm also very reluctant to package Ada at the same time as the main GCC
| > snapshots because it requires Ada installed to build.  Others might
| > argue with me on that point, though.
|
| I agree with the above.  If GNAT isn't already compiled on an
| architecture, it can prove to be quite the task to get it ported (trust
| me, I've been trying for days now and am convinced that I won't be able to
| do it for Alpha with my current machine offerings at home).
|
| Until we get GNAT already built on all archs initially, we probably
| shouldn't think about trying to package the inclusions to gcc.

Ok, fine with me. This means however that GCC source package will be
duplicated (starting from 3.1, as it has been said).

Once GNAT has been ported on every platform, we will see whether it makes
sense to find another mechanism (interesting challenge to Debian, we
will be willing to build different binary packages from the same source
depending on what packages are/can be installed).

Concerning the port of GNAT, I've done the Sparc and PowerPC one and that
was quite straightforward. I understand that Alpha may be much harder
because it will be the first Linux/64 bits port.