Re: RFS: fonts-play update

On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 10:54:16PM +0100, Martin Erik Werner wrote:
> On Tue, 2019-12-03 at 08:30 +0800, Yao Wei (魏銘廷) wrote:
> > > On Dec 3, 2019, at 08:21, Yao Wei (魏銘廷) <mwei@debian.org> wrote:
> > > https://github.com/alexeiva/play
> >
> > However I am not sure that if the above is the real upstream, and it
> > might be in violation of Reserved Font Names.
>
> Whether or not alexeiva/play is under this umbrella, I do not know, but
> m4rc1e/play which is a fork of this repo belongs to a contractor for
> the google fonts directory... Also
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/googlefonts-discuss/NvSTHVa7UcQ/hWqCm1A0DgAJ
> indicate least a thumbs-up from the playtype team towards the updates
> done in alexeiva/play...

Thanks for clarification.  These seems to be implicit approvals from
Playtype that both Alexei Vanyashin (@alexeiva) and Google Fonts are
allowed to distribute the modified fonts under RFN.

Another way for the RFN is that, we could ask davelab6 what's their
procedure to build fonts from .glyphs, under Google Fonts'
infrasturcture.  If the rebuild is identical to Google's I *personally*
guess we can say these are the same fonts as what Google is
distributing.  We should have sufficient tools in Debian to build fonts
from Glyphs source code.

(I know it is difficult to build identical things, but it might be worth
a try.)

Best regards,
Yao Wei