Re: a "fonts-recommended" metapackage?

Quoting Fabian Greffrath (2019-02-09 12:38:55)
> Some other fonts don't even allow to get grouped like this, for
> example the fonts-cantarell package. It's in the list, because some
> GTK3 applications only render a proper UI if this font is installed
> without explicitly depending on it. This is pretty much its own
> category, so should we introduce another meta-package just to pull
> this one in?

gnome-core and mate-desktop-environment-core depend on fonts-cantarell.

Any packages needing this font for proper rendering should recommend it,
in my opinion.

> Or fonts-urw-base35, which contains replicas of the 35 Postscript Core
> fonts, which are expected to be available on about any desktop
> operating system since the 1990s (at least if you are going to render
> PS or PDF files). Which category is this, which meta-package should we
> put this in.

Ghostscript recommends gsfonts.

Scribus and xpdf recommends gsfonts-x11.

If evince and other Postscript renderers do not recommend some package
covering the base35 fonts, then that is a bug in Evince, not an argument
for including it in a metapackage.  In my opinion - feel free to
disagree and no need to defend your opinion, you clearly made a move
already and feel strongly about it, so good luck!

libgs9 does not need gsfonts - it is up to its consumers to decide which
fonts they each need.

 - Jonas