Re: a "fonts-recommended" metapackage?

Am Freitag, den 08.02.2019, 17:53 +0100 schrieb Adam Borowski:
> But, there is a different kind of bloat.  Having too many fonts is a thing,
> thus I wonder about kicking Noto off the list -- for some reason it presents
> every single of its ranges as a separate family, making font selection
> dialogs quite unusable.

Indeed, fonts-noto turns every font selection dialog into The Big Noto
Show.

> -- not sure about that -- if you pick fonts on your own, you can just
>    install them without this metapackage.

I suggested to use Recommends relations so I could get rid of fonts-
noto, to be honest. ;)

> -- only font that provides the text presentation for emojis.

Cool. I somehow mistook this as another replica of the Symbol font
installed with Windows. Unfortunately, upstream recently changed the
license for this one to something non-free, so we should probably keep
eyes open for an alternative.

> -- good point, need to take a look at Unicode coverage though.

Probably not that much of a striking point for a monospaced font,
though?

> -- that's the "emoji presentation"; less likely to work than text
>    presentation but the font has wider coverage than symbola.  Good to have
>    both I guess.

I don't exactly understand the difference, I am afraid. Both fonts have
certain glyphs representing emojis at certain Unicode code points,
right?

> * would it be good to consider kicking Noto out, for making font selection
>   in most program crowded to the point of uselessness?

Either this, or changing Depends to Recommends. Or changing Depends to
Recommends only for fonts-noto.

> * are there fonts you'd want in for non-functional reasons?

I'd like to see some decorational fonts, e.g. fonts-comic-neue. But
this is where things get really subjective.

Also, I always have fonts-hack and fonts-firacode installed, one for
the terminal and one for the editor. They fit these roles perfectly, I
think -- but others may feel different, of course.

Thanks for your work on this so far!

Cheers,

 -- Fabian