Re: [Pkg-fonts-devel] Question Regarding xz compression

Am 20.09.2012 16:06, schrieb Vasudev Kamath:
Fabian any other review on tool ;-) (I've been
waiting for some one to review the tool badly) of course in your
free time :-)

I am sorry to disappoint you, but I am afraid I do not find this tool particularly helpful. Don't get me wrong, your work is appreciated and this opinion is not based on technical matters. It is just that IMHO fonts are usually very easy to package per se.

They either come precompiled or ship a Makefile and even if they don't, it's usually just a matter of running a fontforge script to compile them. So you'll have to modifiy one line in a dh7-style debian/rules. And also install files are usually no more than two lines, one for *.{ttf,otf} and one for the fontconfig snippet.

The rest is filling out boiler plate.

Things only get nasty when you have to correct errors in fontconfig snippets or patch the sfd files, but then a tool like yours does not help either.

No offense,
 - Fabian