Re: unsubscribe

On Sunday, 27.02.2005 at 17:05 -0600, Gerald V. Livingston II wrote:

> > > [unsubscribe]
> >
> > Read THIS to unsubscribe.  It only appears at the bottom of *every*
> > post:

> > > with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
> > > listmaster@lists.debian.org
> >
> > Sheesh.

[Top-posted reply fixed.]

> Unless one is reading in digest mode or ...

I'm sure the digest mode gets that message at least at the end of each
digest, no?

> <rant>
> (see below - I've included everything that my MUA displayed) reading
> messages from people who insist on sending useless PGP/GPG signatures
> to LISTS as inline attachments. This kills off the list footer
> function of most list software by burying the footer in a lower
> multipart section and changing the header type to multipart/signed --
> most mua's see that and stop reading at the "signed" inline part. The
> footer is, by necessity, added below the last part that was added by
> the clients MUA so it gets ignored unless one is looking for it
> specifically.

It sounds like it's your client which is at fault here, to be honest.

> My system wastes so much time going to the net just to tell me there's
> an "Untrusted key from xxx" on list messages it isn't funny. And it's
> REALLY annoying when a keyserver is "missing" for some reason and my
> system sits on a message until gpg times out waiting for the keyserver
> to respond.

OK, so switch that option off on your client.  Case solved.

> If there's a list that "requires" use of gpg, fine. Something like
> debian-security. But for general discussion lists --- why?
> </rant>

People have an online reputation that they wish to maintain.  Signing
messages is part of that.  There may be many subscribed to this list who
don't know (either directly, or via chain of trust), but there are some;
there are also some who I know directly, or via chain of trust, and so
the signatures have value.  And, if you're doing this, then you
shouldn't be selective about where you sign, otherwise unsigned messages
may be considered potentially faked.

Besides, none of the above reasons are reasonable excuses for someone
failing to read the instructions on how to unsubscribe.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org
All email from me is now digitally signed, key from http://www.sungate.co.uk/