Re: where the people are using iptables

Alohá!

Matej Kovac wrote:

> On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 09:40:25AM +0200, Yasar Arman wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 5 May 2004, David Fokkema wrote:

[snip]

> however, firewalls are applications which do inspect the data portion
> of the packets

[snip]

not by definition, no. Not trying to be too picky here, but both kinds, the packet filters and the procotol filters can be used to produce something that bears the tag 'firewall'.

Qute from www.netfilter.org: "What can I do with netfilter/iptables?
build internet firewalls based on stateless and stateful packet filtering"

I guess it's kinda like an 'automobile' that can be anything from a convertible with a V8 to a 3 ton truck with a diesel or even a solar powered electric one-person vehicle. The term 'firewall' by itself says about as much about the technology behind it as 'computer' says about the arch (i386, alpha, etc.)...

Just my 2c

Martin