Re: where the people are using iptables

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 08:01:26PM +0200, Ghe Rivero wrote:
> Hi people,
> 	we are going to change the Cisco firewall solution to a new one based
> on iptables, but before that we would like to know of companys,
> universities, products, ... that are using it at the moment. Thanks in
> advanced.

I don't really understand your question. Netfilter is the firewall
component of the linux kernel. The only thing iptables does is adding,
deleting or modifying rules of netfilter. So for kernels which are not
too old to contain the netfilter code (it's been around since 2.4)
iptables and linux are synonymous.

Basically, this means that every linux based firewall, whether it be
graphical point-and-click interfaces, or script generating firewalls or
whatever, they all use iptables to install their rules into the kernel.

Of course, you can still use iptables directly without any layer in
between.

So, what do you mean with a firewall based on iptables?

An answer to your question might be this: every company, university,
products, ... that are using linux kernel 2.4 or above for their
firewall system.

HTH,
David

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
your ~/.signature to help me spread!