Re: Bastille vs firehol vs ... [was: firewall newbie questions]

Michael Bell wrote:

My firewall needs a very simple:  I have one machine sitting behind a DSL router that offers no outside services, though I look forward to extending the home network as the family grows.

To date I've used the Bastille package to harden my system and set up a simple packet-filtering firewall. I've been interested to what firehol offers.
Are there strong feelings either way about these tools?  Or are they apples and oranges?

For that sort of application, you wouldn't need anything more than firestarter, if you were prepared to look at yet another alternative. As your system grows, employ shorewall, which has great documentation, and contributes greatly in the educational department. And as the corporation grows, re-employ Bastille for hardening as well, and you would have all the basic security requirements for a major server environment.
Regards (from Harvey),

David.