Re: firewall for a client

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 00:55 +0100, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
> On 2004-12-06 Víctor A. Ramos wrote:
> >>
> >> Why do you believe that you need protection for something which is
> >> not there at all? You wrote that you don't have any service bound to
> >> the external interface. If that's true, then there's nothing that
> >> possibly could be attacked.
> >>
> >> Of course, your uplink could be flooded. However, a packet filter
> >> won't protect you from that kind of attack.
> >
> > Well... I suppose that you're kidding me...
>
> No.

Thanks

> > because there is no true in "you don't need firewalls, because you're
> > not running any server on your PC"...
>
> Then please enlighten me, because I cannot see any wrong in this for
> single hosts. Tell me, *how* is someone supposed to attack a computer
> that doesn't provide services.

One thing is that I don't want to provide any service... and other very
different is that I have programs which open ports... (i.e. mldonkey)
and this ports it could be attacked... that's what I want to prevent.

> > Even I know that, dude!
>
> AFAICS you know wrong.

DYSWIM? ;)

Regards
--
Víctor A. Ramos <itchysoft_AT_yahoo_DOT_es>

   (o_  Debian GNU/Linux  .'''`.
   //\  Registered User   : :' :
   V_/_     #315167       `. `'
                            `
Jabber ID       <vramos_AT_jabber_DOT_org>