Re: firewall for a client

--On Dienstag, Dezember 07, 2004 02:07:58 +0100 "Víctor A. Ramos" <itchysoft@yahoo.es> wrote:
[...]
>> Why do you believe that you need protection for something which is
>> not there at all? You wrote that you don't have any service bound to
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> the external interface. If that's true, then there's nothing that
>> possibly could be attacked.
[...]
One thing is that I don't want to provide any service... and other very
different is that I have programs which open ports... (i.e. mldonkey)
and this ports it could be attacked... that's what I want to prevent.

mldonkey is a server, so if you run that program you *have* a service bound to the external interface - which contradicts the precondition above.

As long as you do not run any server processes you don't need a packet filter.

Ralf